The Valkyrie and the Goddess:
The Warrior Woman in Fantasy
Guests of Honor
Marjorie Burns, Scholar
Marjorie Burns, an English professor at Portland State University (Oregon), teaches courses on J.R.R. Tolkien, Norse and Celtic mythology, and more. She has contributed to Tolkien scholarship with her book Perilous Realms, with articles for journals including Mythlore, and with chapters for collections such as Tolkien’s Legendarium.
Sharan Newman, Author
Sharan Newman, a medieval historian and author, has written many novels set in the Middle Ages. She has received awards for the Catherine Levendeur mysteries, including the 1998 Herodotus Award for best historical mystery (Cursed in the Blood). She has also written non-fiction books, including The Real History Behind the Da Vinci Code.
As of July 31, registration can no longer be purchased online. Registration will be available at the door at the following prices:
- $90 for Mythopoeic Society members
- $100 for non-members
- $60 for registered students (age 12 and up)
- Free for children (under age 12)
Single-day rates are also available at the door:
- Friday $20
- Saturday $30
- Sunday $30
- Monday $20
Visit the Mythcon 39 Registration page for more information. Registration »
Room & Board
As of July 31, room and board packages are no longer available. Please visit the Room & Board page for information about nearby hotels. Room & Board »
Call for Papers
This call for papers, issued in October 2007, has expired as of April 15, 2008. Call for Papers »
- Virtual Tour: http://www.ccsu.edu/virtualtour/virtualtourhome.html
- Things to Do: http://www.ccsu.edu/Things_ToDo.htm
By Air: Central Connecticut State University is located 24.5 miles from Bradley International Airport (Google Map). All major airlines, including American Airlines, Continental, Delta, U.S. Airways and others, arrive and depart from Bradley.
- Visit the airport’s web site for information about getting around the airport: [bradleyairport.com/Transport].
- We’ve set up a Twitter account for use by people who want to coordinate rides to and from the airport; email mythcon AT mythsoc DOT org for details.
By Rail: Amtrak to Hartford, CT (HFD) One Union Place, Hartford, CT 06103
From Amtrak to CCSU is a 9.5 mile distance, taxi service is available to the campus
By Car: The Central Connecticut State University web site has detailed driving directions.