An End & a Beginning
The beginning, is (I hope) obvious–at long last the Mythopoeic Society has a blog. The Stewards have discussed this for a long time, seeing the need for something more frequent and perhaps more varied than the “News” section on the Society web page; something more active and “pushy” (purely in the technology sense) than our other venues.
The Horn of Rohan is “the official voice” (one of them at least) of the Mythopoeic Society. Although content may originate in various places, I shall be the Chief Blogger (as an extension of my role as Corresponding Secretary)–a decision that is already causing some trepidation in my aging brain. What kinds of things should you expect to see here?
- News and announcements–some the same you can also find via the mythann Yahoo group or news updates on the web site; some you may only see in The Horn of Rohan.
- Announcements about events of interest to members of the Society, particularly those with information too timely for Mythprint‘s monthly publication schedule–performances and other events local, national and international.
- Information about new books you may want to check out (librarian pun), particularly those published by our members and other Inklings scholars; short reviews of books (films, graphic novels, etc.) that won’t fit in Mythprint or are not precisely a match for its editorial guidelines.
- Timely updates for events when information comes thick and fast in small bits–Mythcon, for example.
- Anything else we think of!
Your Corresponding Secretary’s previous blogging experience was years ago and much simpler. This will take some getting used to. Prepare for The Horn of Rohan to change and no doubt become more complex as time goes on. Meanwhile, better to publish something now than wait for perfection of format. Enjoy.
So much for the beginning–what about the end? That is the end of an era, an era that came to a close with the unexpected death of our Founder, Glen H. GoodKnight, on November 3. That is an event of such magnitude that it deserves a post of its own. Stay tuned.